Accidents happen. We want to be there to help if and when one happens to you.
Here are some things you want to keep in mind before, during and after the accident.

What to do if you're in an accident.
Do you need to call the police?
Dealing with the insurance company.

What to do if you're in an accident.

No one wants to have an accident. However, accidents do happen, people are injured and killed, vehicles are wrecked and property is damaged. Each year in New Hampshire more than 25,000 accidents are reported.

If you are involved in an accident:

  • STOP
  • If you can, move your vehicle off the road so that you do not block traffic.
  • Give aid to any injured people, but do not move them unless necessary.
  • Be sure that an ambulance has been sent for, if required.
  • Send for the police, if necessary.
  • Get the names and addresses of all people involved in the accident and any witnesses. Get the names and address of any injured persons.
  • Be sure to record the other drivers: Name & Address, Driver's License Number, License Plate Number and State, Make of vehicle, Model and Year of Vehicle, Damage to Vehicle, Insurance Company Name.
  • Note the details of the accident to help when you complete accident reports and insurance forms.
  • If the accident involves a parked vehicle or damage to other property, try to find the owner. If you can't leave a note in a place where it can be seen, including the information in #8.
  • Notify your insurance company at once.

Source: New Hampshire Department of Safety, Driver's Manual, 9/99

Do you need to call the police?

New Hampshire law requires that if anyone is killed or injured, or if the combined property damage totals more than $1,000, you must file an official accident report to the Division of Motor Vehicles in Concord within 15 days.

Note: If the accident is investigated by a police offer, you are NOT required to file a separate report. The report filed by the police officer will satisfy the requirements, however, you can also file a report if you so choose. If the driver is injured and cannot complete the report, it can be filed by a passenger or the owner of the vehicle.

Dealing with the insurance company.

Individual insurance companies have different requirements for reporting an accident that you have been involved in. It's usually best to call your agent right away to find out how to proceed.

Remember, when the time comes to get your vehicle repaired, your insurance company must allow you to decide who performs the service. Stan's Auto Body is always ready and willing to give you a complete insurance quotation!

Because we are a direct repair facility for many area insurance companies, we often handle the appraisal, photographs, repair details and bill your company directly.


38 Foundry Street, Keene, New Hampshire 03431

Open 7 am to 5 pm, Monday thru Friday for your convenience.

Services | Auto Accessories | Insurance Tips

About Us | Our Work | Contact Us


Site design: Sykes Associates, Keene, NH